Collaborative ABM as a Business Accelerator: Google Cloud Gets Close to Sales and the Customer to Win Big
by Robert Hollier
April 14, 2023
In 2022 Google Cloud made a strategic decision about its Account-Based Marketing (ABM) program to focus on deepening relationships with existing customers; this initiative was positioned as a pilot ABM team.
One of the first accounts in the pilot was a pharmaceutical company with which Google Cloud already had a relationship. The opportunity turned out to be significant, as the customer sought a digital transformation partner, not just a solutions provider.
The challenge was twofold: persuade the customer that Google Cloud was more than a vendor and could be a long-term business partner and do this within 6 months to help secure a strategic deal before year end.
- Working side by side with the customer allowed for deeper insights and connections and early customer buy-in to the vision for a transformational partnership
- 2-step stakeholder engagement strategy, first with Executive levels, then top-down to broader teams ensured Google Cloud’s message was timed and aligned to the customer’s own internal communication
- Partnership within Google Cloud, with dedicated and consistent collaboration between sales and marketing helped build trust and accelerated adoption of and adherence to the ABM process
- Executive-to-executive communications showed Google Cloud’s commitment to the customer, leading to strong, positive responses
- Establishing relationships with multiple agencies reinforced the ABM lead as Account CMO and ensured the customer received high-quality content
- Education and celebration of stepping stones along the ABM journey connected the dots for the account team and sustained internal support for the long haul of an ABM program
Download this Case Study by Robert Hollier, Partner, Momentum ITSMA and Alice Clarke, Head of Strategic Accounts Marketing, Google Cloud, EMEA to learn more.
Google Cloud Reimagines How to Build an ABM Program
It is better to accept you're not going to get it right the first time and build in a culture of breaking things down and building back better. Living proof of this can be found at Google Cloud...